I decided on a dark silky midnight blue for the "black" of the armor. This contrasting with the red stripes and eventual checks/transfers on the armor should pop well. The deep dark blue was achieved in the following steps:
- Undercoat black with airbrush primer
- Airbrush heavy zenith highlight with dark grey
- Airbrush light zenith highlight with grey blue
- seal with gloss varnish
- wash with Drakenhof Nightshade
- sliver edging with Leadbelcher
- Reds with Khorne Red
I hope this was helpful to anyone looking to replicate and I have included a pic of the paints used.
Now I am working on some armor and heaps of infantry while I wait for some transfers to arrive.